Subject: RE: [Leica] Photoshop and Leica
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:36:58 -0500

Over the past few months I've seen some amazing work done in Photoshop by
various photographers. Most recently, some fine art 5x7 prints of images
taken of Paris that were toned various shades of yellows and redbrowns. They
were absolutely stunning. Impossible to do in a wet darkroom.

I'm not a purist. I love to see b/w fine prints, but I also like many types
of art. Digital opens many new doors for photographers. Sometimes I think
there's a tendancy to think it closes older doors, but does it? All the
traditional materials are still available. I've been slow to embrace it, but
the more I learn about it the more I like it. Scanners, computers, inkjet
printers, the whole workflow is just an extension of the camera with far
more capabilities than an enlarger. There's also a much bigger learning
curve. However, I still have an operating wet b/w darkroom, and I just spent
two days printing C prints at a local rental darkroom.

We're in a new era of photography, and I think it's exciting. I've heard it
said on the LUG to "just take pictures." But that's only half the battle.
There's little value in a latent image. The real objective in photography
should be presenting an end product somehow, somewhere. Whatever workflow it
takes to get there is beside the point. BTW, for me Leica Cameras will
always be an integral part of that workflow. Because photographing with a
Leica is most enjoyable.

Dave