Subject: Re: [Leica] Dave Beckerman has switched to Leica
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:56:23 -0400

Mike Gil wrote:

> Please don't make us, use Holga's.  Have you seen some
> of this stuff.  I think seeing light leaks into the
> frame is not a cool thing.  Or the other half dozen
> random effects created by this plastic camera.  Most
> pictures taken with a Holga look like they accidently
> took off the top of the film developing can before the
> film was fixed, smeared vaseline on the lens and used
> the wrong lens hood.  HCB would not be HCB with a
> Brownie, imagine him showing a portfolio full of
> technically weak photographs to an editor.

First off, I said nothing about Holgas, and I suspect you do know
precisely what I was talking about. Second, and I'd better get down in
the trench and prepare for incoming, but HCB took, and published, many
technically weak photos. So what's your point? That using a Leica will
make a mediocre photographer a good one, and a good photographer a great
one?

Sorry, but that is complete and utter BS. Using a Leica will make a
mediocre photographer a mediocre photographer with sharp images. And a
good photogapher a good photographer with good images.

Come on, folks...It's a great tool - for some people. It's not a magic
wand.

B. D.