Subject: Re: [Leica] Two more scans (Oh no!)
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:24:47 -0500

George,
  I am glad to see you are putting up more scans.  Nothing improves a
photographer's work more than showing it to others, even if the
feedback is sometimes sparse.  I've found that sometimes you don't
agree with the criticisms, but it makes you think about why you don't.

A couple of thoughts about the Soapstone Valley, and these are newly
acquired prejudices (postjudices?).  A picture like this can always be
improved by the inclusion of people, or animals, or anything except
plain old scenery.   I have hundreds of recordings of "what man or God
hath wrought," but when you get down to it, after the angle has been
chosen, there is no decisive moment that makes the picture great.

Soapstone Valley has no context to me.  I really am not sure what I am
looking at.  The tones seem ok, but I am not primarily a Black and
white guy, so I can only go by my subjective feelings.

The truck is terrific, but I REALLY want to see the whole truck.   My
grandfather had one just like it, except his was red (I think this one
is not red, right?) The picture brought back memories of riding
through the hills on rural North Louisiana on our way to go fishing.
David Webb's Ford was never that shiny, it always had a thin layer of
red clay dust on it.   The picture could be improved hugely with the
inclusion of people.   It is clearly someone's pride.   Even a posed
shot would have made this a wonderful picture.  I know you said it was
a grab shot, but if a shot is worth taking and showing, then it is
worth reconsidering, and working on a little bit.

Finally, the bread shot.  This does appear to be a difficult printing
job.  It would give trouble in Photoshop or a darkroom.  As far as
Piezo as a savior, I haven't a clue.   My thoughts on the shot is that
the mixer and things around give clues to what the shot is about, but
it does not say "BREAD" to me.   Too much ceiling and too little bread
is shown.  A lower angle with lots of product would do the trick here.

Since you mentioned the controversial pinhole shot, I'll comment on it
too.  I once had a contract  with a real estate firm to shoot the
pictures that appeared in their ads in the newspaper.   The goal was
to show the building.  When the minilabs came to town, they did not
renew my contract, because they could give agents point-and-shoot
cameras  and realize their goal.   Your pinhole picture looked like
those real estate agents' efforts.  I guess the direction I'm headed
with this, is that if you want to experiment with pinhole, show us
something that makes the pinhole picture different.

What makes a photographer good, (as the saying goes, "I know good when
I see it,") is the ability to throw away pictures.   I'm getting more
and more ruthless with my pictures, and if I don't love mine, people
don't see them, that is not a criteria for quality photography, but I
get lots more good comments that way.

Finally, the effort you expend to make or print a photograph is
totally unimportant to how good it is.  There comes a time when you
have the skill to do it, the light is right, you have the right film,
and you are in the right place, and you choose the right moment to
push the button.     The amazing thing is, that the more you push that
button, the more good pictures you'll come up with.

Hope these comments help.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com