Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 10:19:03 -0700

Dan Cardish wrote:

> The implication of what you are saying is that some other camera (such as
> an SLR) could nat have taken this picture, that they don't have this
> ability.   Why is this?  I don't mean to be overly argumentative, but I am
> certain that if Nathan was sitting there with my Minolta SLR instead of his
> M3, he could have captured the very same image.
>
> dan c.
>
> At 08:34 AM 05-09-01 -0400, C.L.Zeni wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >>http://www.wajsman.com/35.jpg
> >
> >The ability of a Leica to take photos like this never ceases to amaze me...

You're probably right Dan it COULD have been done with a Minolta or a Nikon or
Canon why not?

Well one reason why maybe not is that people respond a bit differently; two guys
at a bar - to having a big fat micromotor engorged hunk of pulsating tupperware
stuck at them when they are having a personal conversation at a bar.
A Leica M is so much less of an obnoxious camera to have stuck in your face -
put in your situation.
It seems archaic and quaint. It is small an quiet. The people who use them are
better looking and dress better.
Although these guys i sense are sympathetic shutterbugs.

Another reason is this picture is all about two heads in realationship to the
interesting out of focas shapes behind them. Note the cropping. The way the
squre shapes at the left and the spigots at the right are rendered is really
excellent. An OK above average Minolta or a Nikon or Canon optic might not
render bokeh in such a sublime manner as a very premium Leica rangefinder optic
is doing here. You'd have cropped in tight into their faces then and it's a
different shot. Not about space.

So in these kinds of shots i think Leica M really could and do make a difference.

Note the lack of black eyes on the photographers face.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/