Subject: RE: [Leica] Noct vs 50 'lux
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:48:06 -0500

John

I heard something similar to your statement from a Leica rep a while back.
Improving performance of current 50/1.4 M would require increasing the size
of the lens. The current 50/1.4 is excellent. Apparently any performance
gain wouldn't justify the increase in size.

I can appreciate that philosophy. I like the M system because it's compact.
M lenses perform. But so do lenses in lots of other systems. M lenses are
compact, relative to maximum aperture. That's what sets them apart. My
50/1.4 Summilux is half the size of any 50/1.4 SLR lens.

I wonder how popular 50mm lenses are these days. I'm guessing the 35/1.4
ASPH outsells the 50/1.4 by quite a bit. I wonder if anyone has any numbers
that might support or refute that.

Dave