Subject: [Leica] cleaning toilets and owning Leicas
From: "Griffith, Lucian" <lgriffiths@ue.com.au>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 13:52:37 +1000

Mxsmanic wrote:

The type of people who work cleaning toilets and/or

 B.d Colen wrote:
>Yes, people who work cleaning toilets and who out of desperation steal
>the property of others tend to be poor, but to suggest that they are
>dim-witted because they are poor or clean toilets is a truly repulsive,
>vile, classist thing to say that tells us a great deal about you.

>There are plenty of people on this list who at one time or another
>worked at jobs that were the equivalent of cleaning toilets, or had
>parents or grandparents who did.

I'd agree with you B.D. - I was particularly annoyed by Mxsmanic's comments
(just caught up with this thread - been very busy...).  FWIW I was a cleaner
for about ten years while I was writing a PhD and also working part time
photographic jobs.  I often used to stash my cameras _in_ the cleaner's
cupboard while I scrubbed those dunnies, mopped the floors and picked up
other people's cr*p.

In the time I was working as a cleaner I was quizzed four or five times
about missing items from various offices which invariably turned up at the
CEO's house or some other "unlikely" place.  IMO the _least_ likely person
to blame when something goes missing is the cleaner, because he or she has
the most to lose by nicking it.

The idea that the person in a lowly paid and / or skanky job is ipso facto a
dim-wit (and vice versa) is pretty dumb.

cheers,
Lucian G.