Subject: [Leica] nan goldin uses Leica?
From: "Griffith, Lucian" <lgriffiths@ue.com.au>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 14:51:25 +1000

Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com> wrote:
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 19:08:03 -0400

>i'm suddenly reminded of leica photographer Donna Feratto ("Living with
>the enemy") who did much of her early work while homeless (in paris,
>nonetheless), sleeping on a bench with her arms wrapped around her leica,
>and Nan Golden who was unemployed, strung out, and institutionalized for
>much of her early career. i'm sure we can think of many more destitute
>leica photographers if we put our collective minds to it -- it does make
>one consider that within the depths of poverty come some of the most
>stunning leica images, and, as we all know, the best passport into a
>particular subculture is membership in that subculture.
>
>kyle "former toilet scrubber" cassidy who bets a lot of people who can't
>afford a ferarri can pick one out in a lineup.

Oi, Scrubber!  ;-)  (Sorry, couldn't resist that - that word has a different
connotation where I come from...)

I don't think Nan Goldin used or uses Leica does she?  I seem to recall
various shots where she appears in the mirror beaten / battered / bruised
(etc) with a Nikon or something similar...  I saw her on a documentary once
and she wasn't using a Leica then either... it was a Contax, or something,
and some sort of strobe flash thingy which looked much more sophisticated
than anything I'm capable of .... (and here's me thinking before that she
was only an available light chick).  Not that it makes all that much
difference - I love a lot of her work, especially the earlier stuff,
although there's only so much imagery of hairy boyfriend's jerking off I can
stomach in one sitting :-)

Love Ferrato's work too - didn't know that bit about sleeping homeless in
Paris - interesting. Thanks.

cheers,
Lucian G (a cleaner for ten years by choice ;-)