Subject: Re: [Leica] Rewinding film in M6 outside cassette
From: "tm" <leicar8@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:59:03 -0700

Thanks, Ted, and all who also responded. I had an acute need for info on
keeping the film outside of the cassette, for, prior to my LUG inquiry,  I
went into my walk-in closet, shut the doors, and started inserting the roll
of Delta 400 I exposed at "Kiss Me, Kate" onto a plastic Paterson reel.
Before that, I had attempted to rewind just far enough to keep the roll from
completely entering the cassette but failed and knew I had ruined 3 shots.
This was confirmed after I pulled the developed roll off the reel yesterday.
Horror!  Additionally, I have found that cutting the lead in the dark before
inserting it onto the plastic reels doesn't work at all if I've cut the
beginning of the roll at an angle. Of course, that wouldn't happen if I
could determine how to prevent my M6 TTL from pulling it all the way into
the cassette and could thus cut the beginning prior to going into the dark.
The shots I succeeded in getting, however, are fabulously sharp and
contrasty when I view the negatives with my 4x and 10x Schneider loupes! The
Shubert theater stage was very well lit and my M6 and 90 APO set to f/2 gave
exceptionally accurate metering with Delta 400 b&w film. I'd loved to have
had my R8 with longer focal lengths, but I don't doubt that, with its
noisier shutter, somebody near me would have gotten pissed off. What a joy
getting fabulous shots of "Kiss Me, Kate" though! The costumes,
choreography, and setups were outstanding. If only I'd had my other M6 with
me, loaded with color slide film, for the costumes were brilliantly colored
and detailed!

BTW, I always crimp film twice before loading it into the M6. This morning I
discovered Freestyle Camera on Sunset Blvd. has a film retriever that works
in instances like the above. However, it is questionable that it would
succeed when the film is twice crimped.

Terry

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Rewinding film in M6 outside cassette)
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Rewinding film in M6 outside cassette)