Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Darkroom! (OT: Rodenstock/Schneider)
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:14:52 -0700

At 02:59 PM 9/23/2001 -0700, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> From what i can gather APO-Rodagons are no less well thought of by people
> that
>should know than the Apo-Componon HM's.
>If anyone with an inside track knows otherwise i'd love to hear about it.
>

>Mark Rabiner

I personally do not believe that any difference between the above two lens
lines, if there is any, could possibly be detected by mere mortals printing
in a darkroom.

I just happen to be, from decades of past use, be partial to Schneider
enlarging lenses. No other reason other than that is what I have always
used. So when the APO Componon HM series came out, and Schneider offered a
$50 rebate on enlarging lenses, and I was getting them at net cost too
boot... I went for the 40, 90, and 150. And I love them. Absolutely stellar
performance, B&W, RA4 color, and Ilfochrome color.

The other thing I like about Schneider is that their web site is super
informative. Giving everything there is to know about their lenses
including all dimensions and various charts and graphs.

But for LF lenses 75mm and wider, I choose Rodenstock as their lenses are
available with the widest opening of f/4.5 while Schneider comes in at
f/5.6 and f/8. Wide lens openings are extremely important for ground glass
focusing with wide angle lenses. Rodenstock wins.

Jim

Message from Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com> ([Leica] Re: Darkroom! (OT: Rodenstock/Schneider))