Subject: Re: [Leica] The great slide show software search (long)
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:43:49 -0500

>Gee, I never thought about Acrobat as a slide show presenter.  As I
>understand it, you build Acrobat files by printing to a virtual printer
>driver.  So, how would you approach making a slide show...make a document
>with all your photos and such, then "print" it to the Acrobat driver?
>
>I'd be interested in hearing more about how you are using Acrobat for slide
>shows.  Is it possible to do synched audio?  How about transitions?
>
>--Jim

You can print to a virtual printer if you want, thats the fast and easy
way if you were creating your document in Office or Clarisworks, for
instance. The quality might not be so pleasing.

For best results use Acrobat Distiller (version 4) although now I think
its all rolled into one piece in version 5.  Please keep in mind I'm
giving directions from my older v 4 and it may be different in v 5. Also
that Acrobat Reader does not do this stuff, it only lets you view the
files.

The simplest way to do a slide show is to save the photos as Photoshop
.pdfs and then put them together in the order you wish using Acrobat and
saving that document as a single Acrobat (.pdf) file. To play it just use
the arrow keys if you want to talk over it, hitting the appropriate key
as you talk or set it to "slide show" in the preferences menu and it'll
play for you. If you want text to accompany your photos you can do that
in Photoshop as well or in Quark Xpress or Pagemaker if you know those
programs. For video and audio you link the files to each photo as you
need to present the information.

With a little experimentation I think you can do almost anything in the
way of presentations in Acrobat. One cool thing is that if you want it to
be portable - it is. Acrobat Reader is on just about every computer sold
in the last few years so its cross platform in theory and in practice.
Just burn your show to a CD and carry that with you, or send it to
someone on FedEx - whatever the need is at the time.

Henry

Replies: Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] The great slide show software search (long))
Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] The great slide show software search (long))