Subject: RE: [Leica] 1.25x magnifier "in person
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 21:43:36 -0700

BD wrote:

>But how is it on the .72 with the 90 mm? Does it magnify the image
>enough so that you can really see what you're doing?

B.D., since 0.72 x 1.25 = 0.9, and an M3's magnification is 0.91, the
magnifier should make things appear just about like an M3.  So if you like
the 90mm view on an M3, I suspect you'll like it with the magnifier.

The of course, we could revive the old debate about whether an SLR or an RF
is best for 85-105mm lenses...  (he said wickedly)  :-)  My answer is, in
bright light it's probably a wash, maybe a slight edge to the SLR for
framing and focusing.  But in dim light, you probably want to use the
lower-vibration RF, so you get whatever help you can.  I'm intrigued with
the magnifier--better that than having to buy a second high-mag body just
for one lens.

Now, what are the chances that the magnifier eventually shows up under the
Cosina/Voigtlander name--with a eyepiece fitting for the Bessa R and maybe
the SLR bodies it was derived from--and at a lower price?

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA