Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: New Aviation Rules
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:00:43 -0700

The US built up a cellular infrastructure early in the game, so it will be a
while before existing installations are fully amortized and the conversion
to GSM can begin.  If you're American, and you photograph overseas alot, you
can try AT&T World Connect:

http://www.attws.com/personal/intl_calling/world_connect/index.jhtml

Support, however, is pretty poor.  SMS doesn't work at all.  I found that I
couldn't get connectivity was unavailable from even major cities in
countries that they supposedly support.  And when you call for support, you
get a service rep who probably couldn't point out Jordan on a map, much less
tell you the difference between an Arab and a Persian.  The person I talked
to tried to tell me that they couldn't support me since my phone (garden
variety Nokia 8210) is not one that they sell here in the US.  Pitiful.

A great money saving solution, if you are going to be in one are area for a
while is to purchase a local SIM card.  Just pop it in your phone and voila!

- --Jim