Subject: Re: Shutterbabe Re: [Leica] Curiosity on Magnum
From: walt@unt.edu
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:42:20 -0600 (CST)

Quoting "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>:

> Hi, Dragi - I guess I respond to these questions as I do because it is
> my feeling that far too many people, in any field, mistakenly believe
> "if I use the camera (pen, typewriter, wordprocessor, car, etc.) that
> so-and-so uses, I will be as good at ___________________________ as so
> and so." And that is complete and utter nonsense. What interests me no
> end is the work, and difficulties that may have been encountered, and
> overcome, in undertaking it. If the use of a particular piece of
> equipment played an important part in that, okay, tell me about it.
> Otherwise, I simply don't care who uses what.

B.D., etc....

SOME folks "like" cameras.  Others "like" photography, either as
viewers or participants.  Many, like myself, LIKE cameras, LIKE
photography, even LIKE art!!!

I think MOST Leica folks are really into the "hardware" or the
"lifestyle" (the other threads about watches, land rovers, scotch,
and other exotica bear this out)--
THEY want to know what everybody uses.
Another example of this is that I, personally, LOVE vintage
guitar amps, an I have built several "new" replicas of vintage
amps. --I always enjoy knowing that "so-and-so" uses this or that,
because I'm INTO the technology (or lack thereof!)
  This weekend, however, we played at two RED CROSS benefits
for you-know-who......they had contracted not only PA gear,
but some drums and guitar amps, too!....you guessed it, Walt
(the lazy bastard) played through one of their solid state
amps rather than lugging his own!!!...

Like all the "nikon/leica" comparisons, NO one was any the wiser!!!,
all said it sounded GREAT......!!!!

I like Leicas and vintage amps.....when there's a "job" to be
done, however, I grab "whatever" and it ALWAYS does fine!!

I'm sure Magnum guys ALL have a Leica....which they use about
2% of the time!!!

Walt
www.thesilvertones.com
(if you're interested--2 year old web site--not updated much)

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: Shutterbabe Re: [Leica] Curiosity on Magnum)