Subject: Re: [Leica] Another sorta a week
From: walt@unt.edu
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:18:27 -0600 (CST)

Quoting Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu>:

> I take Ted's instructive point below, but I think that the photo
> nonetheless 'works' as a diner shot.  The Marine's less the focal point
>
> than he might (should?) be, but I rather like the craned-neck look of
> the
> guy in the foreground.  There's a sort of closeness to the thing that I
>
> find appealing.  Nice work!
>
> CHandos

I'll second that.....Great photo...makes me want to go to Waffle House
today.....and yes, I agree with Ted's points, it could tell more of a
story, but I  still really enjoy the picture.  It communicates
well to anyone who frequents such establishments (!!!)...although
it is not a "universal" photo...especially, it probably wouldn't
cross cultural barriers well...

I feel this photo, because I'm a "diner" junkie, and yes, I'm
in the "home" of Waffle Houses....as well as a few (dwindling)
independently owned diners...unfortunately we don't have any
of those in Denton, Tx.....
I concur with previous posts--the "real" diner is the LAST escape
from political correctness....we have PC shoved down our throats
at work, at school, in the media, etc...the "diner" is the
last bastion of the 50s, where the word "waitress" won't get you
slapped around or fired....I love the vinyl seats liberally repaired
with duct tape, the cheap chipped plastic ashtrays on the tables,
NOTHING on the menu that WON'T kill you, where asking for "drinking"
water (in a bottle) will get you blank stares, where they have
ONE kind of coffee...strong...and refills are free...
As long as attendance is by choice, why SHOULDN't we have these
escapes?...
   Maybe by the time I retire I'll buy one....of course, by then
they'll probably be "membership" only...and require a picture
ID proving that you're over 50 to enter...we don't want to pollute
the young with "unmodified history" of the way it "used" to be...
that'd probably be considered child abuse in the P.C. United States....

Walt

Replies: Reply from "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Another sorta a week)