Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica IIIc and Jupiter-3 (new findings)
From: "E. van Ginkel" <E.vGinkel@inter.NL.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 21:47:29 +0100

I have the same problem with a Jupiter 9 on my 1939 Leica IIIb, a Jupiter 12
fits correctly but the 9 will not fit. The 9 goes smoothly on all the
russian rangefinders in my collection. I collect the suckers, have FED's
from model 1 to model 5 and Zorki's from model 1 to model 6 made between
1938 (FED 1c) until 1983 (FED 5). On all the russian bodys the 9 screws on
smoothly same for the Leitz Elmar 3.5/50. I also have a 195 135mm Hektor,
but that can't be used on any russian LTM because they don't have a wheel on
the rangefinderlever like the Leica. So I think its a tolerance problem.
The Jupiter 9 I own is a mint 1956 example with coated glass. The Jupiter 12
is a like new 1980 example.
The example of the Jupiter 9 mentioned above does fit on the one M-adapter
(orginal Leitz) I own. (adapter brings on 35mm on a M2 and M6 finder)
Be carefull with the gaskets behind the mount on a IIIa, the backfocus is
set by those gaskets. So be sure you put them back as they were.
By the way try to get a nice early FED 2 for the Jupiter 3, huge
rangefinderbase and dead cheap.

René van Ginkel
The Netherlands

Sorry if there are spelling of grammar errors.