Subject: Re: [Leica] The initial spark (newbie)
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 19:47:30 +0100

Hi Stefano,

I never had an interest in photography as a child, aside from the casual
snapshot. When I was growing up in Denmark, my best friend was a serious
photographer (something which he has since made into a career), and I spent a
lot of time watching him in the darkroom. But even then I had no interest in
taking up the craft myself.

In 1985 I was married and living in Florida. My wife suggested that we get
ourselves a decent camera, i.e. an SLR. Little did she know what she was
starting! Being totally ignorant about SLRs, I relied on a Consumer Reports
test in which the Pentax Super Program (known as the Super A in Europe) came
out on top. During a trip to New York City that summer, I visited 47th Street
Photo and bought the Pentax. I then thought I might as well learn how to use it
properly and took some photography courses at a local community college. I was
totally hooked. I spent the following year driving around North Central Florida
and taking pictures rather than working on my PhD dissertation. But it was
worth it, and the hobby has brought me tremendous enjoyment and fulfillment
ever since.

Nathan