Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: minimize the expense
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:54:50 EST

In a message dated 11/20/01 12:02:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, sonc@sonc.com
writes:

> the point can be  made that this gear, if used for the lifetime designed
into it will be  > far less expensive to use than most of the competition.

Here is what I paid for my first M4 outfit in June 1967:
Leica M-4 $230., 50mm f/2 DR Summicron  $151.,  35mm f/2 Summicron$ 131.,
90mm f/2.8 Elmar $142., Leica-meter MR-4 $38., Leitz combination case $31. and
3 E39 filters $30. total cost: $753.

That was a lot of money for me in 1967. But all are still in regular use and
are in excellent condition. I've added and subtracted a good bit of other
Leica gear over these 34 years but you want to talk about value, this surely
bears out an admonition my dad gave me as a boy: when you are buying
durables, always buy the very best you can afford; it's always always cheaper
in the long run. And while you will be saving money over the long term, you
will also be using the best.

Seth      LaK 9