Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: If only one more R lens,
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 26 Nov 2001 08:38:39 -0800

On Mon, 26 November 2001, SthRosner@aol.com wrote:

> I don't have a problem with the Japanese. Merely pointed out that the R-3, a
> camera manufactured for Leitz by Minolta, is today a budget investment.

The R3 was not made by Minolta.  It includes many components made by Minolta, by Copal, and undoubtedly by many other suppliers.  The meter and mirror box, for example, are unique to the R3 so I would not call this body a re-badged Minolta.

> Also,
> it was not well-received because it was not problem-free. I bought one new
> and straight-away had a shutter problem with it (see reliable shutter
> referred to above). I simply wanted to suggest that with $4,000. available to
> budget, a second body with a more reliable shutter might be a good idea.

My understanding is that the problem R3 bodies were lemons from the moment the box was opened.  I would expect that an R3 that has been functioning properly all these years would be no more likely to fail than any other camera of similar age and usage.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe