Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS:noctilux halloween now flash on sidelines
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:43:31 -0800

Bill Magness wrote:
>>Another pet peave I have when I shoot football games, besides the guys who
only stand, is when did it become OK to use flash.  I cover high school and
the 'pros' from the local AP and papers all use flash with their D-1's.
Don't they concern themselves with the athletes? <<<<<<

Also:
>>I believe it to be extremely bad manners to pop a flash in someone's face
when they are trying to concentrate on the task at hand, whether it be
sports or theater.
Our job is not so important that we should interfere.<<<<<

Hi Bill,
Given I've shot Olympics, Pan American, the World's and many other amateur
and pro sports I've never heard an athlete complain about "flash in the
face." And particularly football, a usually played outdoor in afternoon
light.

Even though the IOC have a rule "No flash during competition - indoors and
outdoors," it's a misguided rule today.  It originated from the early days
of mega size flash bulbs and photographers allowed to shoot very close to
the athletes. And yes in those days there probably was a distraction.

The only place I'm aware of flash being a major problem is when hearing
impaired athletes use flash signal in lieu of hearing the start gun
indicating the race start. But in reality strobe with healthy athletes, the
flash is so quick and athletes concentrating so hard, they really aren't
effected. It's just "old time officials who think they are."

I'm sure your guys shooting digi cameras using flash are only a distraction
to you and no one else.Or if you're concerned, you might consider asking the
ball players if it's a problem and if it is, then point it out to the Pro's.
However, don't hold your breath waiting for them to stop.

>>I believe it to be extremely bad manners to pop a flash in someones face
when they are trying to concentrate on the task at hand, whether it be
sports or theater.<<<

Absolutely bad manners! However, it depends on where the flash in the face
is occurring. If it's during a theatre presentation then the photographer
should be thrown out....... unless it happens to be a "photo call" for
publicity pictures.

If it's a bad guy outside court ... who cares, flash 'em in the face!
Unless! Inside the court house is out of bounds for photographs. However,
outside everyone is fair game.

It's interesting flash should be of concern these days, as they flash so
quickly and during the day it's only a "twinkie light blink" for fill, that
unless you're looking at them, in many cases one is hardly aware they've
fired.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant