Subject: Re: [Leica] Maintaining solution temps--OT
From: "Dan States" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:19:55 +0000

This all sounds like a very complicated way to get to a simple solution.
Why not just develope at room temp?  You can then be assured of the final
density of your negs because there will be no "cool down" during
development.  I regularly develope at temps between 64 and 75 and have found
no problems with uneven densities, as long as I adjust times properly.

By the way, Ilford has a great temp conversion chart on their website.  It
is in PDF form, and is generally more reliable than some of the very strange
recomendations on Kodak's tech charts.  In my experince some of the Kodak
times for lower temp development give thin negs.  Using the Delta chart has
never let me down.  Funny that they would differ, but I swear Kodak is
slipping lately.  (I've had so many problems with bad batches of XTOL that I
finally had to give up.  I value predictability above all in developers).

In the wash it is important to keep the temp fairly consistent with what
your development temps were, to avoid reticulation of the grain.
Reticulation can occur when one of your liquids is dramatically colder, or
hotter than the developer.  Agfa APX is particularly prone to this.  Less
so, with other brands.

Finally,regarding agitation, consistency is the thing.  As long as you
maintain a "style" from batch to batch it will not mater how you agitate.
(as long as you do enough to keep fresh developer against the emulsion).
If, after some trials you find your negs too snappy, you can just dial back
your times, leaving your inversion technique the same.  I prefer 5 tank
inversions in 5 seconds, every 30 seconds.  JOBO processors prove that even
constant agitation can provide superb negs, as long as your times are
adjusted accordingly.

Best wishes
Dan States
Madison WI