Subject: RE: [Leica] Maintaining solution temps--OT
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 20:13:59 -0800

I was upset at my lab for process inconsistencies ( whoch they said were not
there) , so after a LOT of soul searching, I decided I had enough.  I went
out and researched SS tanks ( I had them already) water baths, recirculating
tanks, nitrogen gas agitation, etc.  I set myself up with most of the stuff
I needed to do gas agitation.  I figured with a gas valve timer, a good
thermometer, recirculating pump, and a BIG bath, that I could develop more
consistency than my lab.

Then I attended a Sexton workshop.  I now have a lot of unused gas
processing stuff and a wonderful ( and cheaply bought new for $350) ) JOBO
CPE2 Processor.  The JOBO runs a constant temp, consistent agitation, and
works like a champ.  I have good negs, produced in TMaxRS developer, using
TMax 100 film.    I can do 35mm ( max of 5 rolls), 120/220 ( max of 3 rolls)
through 4x5 ( max of 4 per run)  negs right now, and I could do 5x7( 2 per
run) or 8x10 ( 1 per run) negs with a little extra cash.

While you may be happy with hand agitation, or may not be willing to spend
the money for the equipment, the results are lovely, consistent, and fast
( if I am not feeling lazy).  I recommend it highly.

The other downside..... my wife strictly forbids it from coming on trips...
which I might get away with if I were using SS tanks.   Then again, maybe
not.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net