Subject: Re: [Leica] Loading 35mm 36 exposure film
From: "Aram Langhans" <alanghans@komoto.naches.wednet.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 05:28:27 -0800

Besides cutting the tips off, here is another thing to try.  Take some waxed
paper and fold it up a bit so it is thick enough to rub on each side of the
plastic grooves.  Work the waxed paper through the grooves on both sides of
the spool.  What you are doing is waxing the grooves so the film will slide
easier through them.  You have to unfold and refold the paper a bunch of
times to expose fresh wax to the surface, as there is not much wax on the
paper.  About every two winds around the spool I do this.  When you are
done, your nicely waxed spool should allow the film to slip through much
easier and the lower friction prevents binding as you get near the end of
the roll.  You only have to do this once in a while, as the wax lasts for
quite a few rolls.  The developing tanks we use at school are quite old and
cheap.  The kids do this every so often, whenever they experience problems.
Works like a champ and is cheap.

Kind of like what we did as as  kid on the slide at the local park.  Sit on
waxed paper a few times and slide down.  Got that thing really slick so you
could really fly.  Of course, parents with very young kids didn't appreciate
it much as it made it a bit scary for the little ones.  Don't know if it
works on today's plasic slides.  They won't let me in to McDonalds funland
anymore since I turned 50.

Aram