Subject: [Leica] Re: I commend to your attention
From: "Aram Langhans" <alanghans@komoto.naches.wednet.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:59:53 -0800

Some further thoughts on this.  What are most snapshots photographed with?
Color print film.  In 70-100 years what will those snapshots look like?  Are
they properly stored?  The old B&W snapshots mentioned by Walt and Sonny are
indeed near timeless glimpses at what we were as a people.  I regret that
perhaps we will have less of a treasure trove in the future.  And digital?
I have read many articles about people working in the national archives
having amassed billions and billions of bytes if information during the
early computer age and that a large portion of it is almost non-usable as
the technology for storing and archiving it is obsolete.  In 50 years will
there be anyone that can read a CD?  It is an impossible project to update
all archived information to current standards everytime a new current
standard becomes available.  Are we doomed to have the most documented and
least accessible past of any generation that has lived on this planet?
Egyptian hieroglyphics are still with us.  Talk about hard copies.

Aram

Replies: Reply from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@charter.net> ([Leica] New Type of Ball Head)