Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: I commend to your attention
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:57:42 -0600

From: "Jim Brick"

> Well... my opinion is that these photographs are every bit as good as 95%
> of the PAW prints that are deluged on us weekly. Every time I look at the
> PAW's, the "my web site is finally up", the "please look & comment", etc...
> I have to bite my tongue. I'll look at these Nepali photos any day rather
> than most of the aforementioned stuff.

Jim, this list has a thousand members, and only a handful bravely go out there and
shoot new stuff each week, then scan or print and scan, learning all the while.  They
post their  material to the world, maybe to get some pointers and honest criticism,
or hopefully to get  congratulations when they've posted a nice shot.

They  don't travel to exotic locations and shoot everything that moves; they make
honest efforts at capturing what they see in accessible locations.  One guy travels
for a few hours a week to get from his small town to a bigger place to do the street
photography he enjoys.  Others document life right in their neighborhoods.

Some of the Nepali shots are nice.  Maybe B.D. was harsh, but just because you two
like to butt heads, I think you ought to reconsider before you denigrate the members
of this list who do make an effort to take and post pictures instead of merely
pontificate.

> If you don't like these photographs, then you probably don't like Tina's
> either. But because Tina is on the list and Ron Geur isn't, you only
> denigrate Ron.

Ron Geur did not ask to be posted on this list.  He built a web site that shows his
probably expensive vacation.  Tina's work is NOT vacation photography.   She
photographs for a purpose.

If you want exotic, then I can certainly drag out pictures of people I took in
Honduras, Mexico, Hong Kong, Germany, and Navajo-land and post them until you put my
name on ignore.

However, I'll keep on shooting my little slices of life in the village of
Natchitoches,where everyone knows my name; and I'll keep on posting my Pictures A
Week, because that effort reminds me what I took up photography for in the first
place: to take pictures.

I usually respect your wise counsel, but this time I think  you blew it.

Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com

PAW at http://www.sonc.com/paw