Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm for my LEICA M6
From: "Colin" <CJV@home.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:11:59 -0500

Also, can you say "Passport?"  I was shooting in the Pine Barrens a
couple of weeks ago with my brother.  The soil there is basically just
really loose sand - finer than usual beach sand.  While changing lenses
I dropped my 35 'cron ASPH, which I had just purchased in June, on the
only rock within fifty feet.  A tiny rock, too.  The lens worked fine
afterward except that the focus ring had become really sticky towards
the close end of the range; not good for fine adjustment where it's
needed most.  I drove up to Northvale and the gentleman in charge of
service agreed it needed fixing.  It probably would have cost a couple
hundred bucks to repair without warranty.

I certainly understand if money is an issue.  I would suggest one could
contact Joseph Yao, who deals in Leica gear and is known to have
excellent prices; or ask Patrick McKee if he still has the very cool
3-payment plan available.

The 35mm Voigtlander lenses are also very good, and far less expensive
than Leica gear.  They are certainly worth considering.

I don't have the time to futz with my web site just now - big party here
tomorrow - but I'll post some shots next week, from the 'Barrens and
from the Northvale office.

Milos, good luck with whichever lens you decide to get.  Post some
pictures for us!

Regards,
Colin
http://www.availabledark.com

http://home.lainet.com/~gbennett/photography/photography_abbey.html

I don't know if it's visible on the screen, but on the print you can
actually see marks on the stones in the wall from when they were either
cut or cleaned, as well as some odd symbols also cut into the surface of
those stones (indicating perhaps their position in the wall).

I found the lens' ability to capture such detail wide open in low light
very impressive. I guess I don't shoot into the light often enough to
have appreciated the 35 ASPH Summicron's performance in that regard.

Guy