Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm for my LEICA M6
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:54:02 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 08:04:41 -0800
> >In truth, almost any Leica lens will deliver the goods if in any kind of
> >decent condition so if you are planning to shoot with one whichever one is
> >cleanest/cheapest.

>Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> wrote:

> That's not the only reason to go with the newest 35 Summicron. More
> important, IMO, is its performance wide open, which is outstanding. I've
> Guy

For the record, especially to a "newbie", if that's the case, one should
advise that ALL 35 summicrons are "outstanding" wide open...in fact,
using real world films (100+ ISO) and using the camera handheld, there
will RARELY be any difference at all, especially in the center 2/3 of the
frame....the earlier lenses (all) have varying degrees of sharpness/contrast
and some claim to see differences such as "bokeh".  ALL however, were state
of the art in their day, wide open, and as such will produce BEAUTIFUL wide
open shots in available light.  I've used the 8-element (last version, late
60s) since I was 19 (I'm 43) and it's performed superbly, wide open, in handheld
available light use all those years.  The new one MIGHT be noticeably better,
and I am in fact planning to upgrade my 35 'cron in the next few months if
I can afford it, BUT I won't be disappointed if I NEVER see the difference in
"real world" use...

Erwinites please note, I did not say the new one wasn't better.  I did not say
the "second" version wasn't something of a disappointment.  I didn't say the last
pre-asph wasn't "wonderful".  I simply said that ALL were superb, even wide open,
and as such should be considered by a person who values RF photography, for all
it's OTHER attributes--especially now that the second version, reputed to be the
"worst", can sometimes be had in user condition for a few hundred dollars--a GREAT
deal in these inflated times.

If we treasure hi-end RF camera photography (yes!!!) and want to see it spread to
newbies, we need to get out of this elitist vein and tell the truth....want the
best?....buy a new one....want to experience RF photography to it's fullest PRACTICAL
extent--with all it's wonderful virtues--withouth the hype and optical BS? then
get what you can afford/find and go USE it...one can experience 90% of RF
"advantages" with a Canonet or one of those poor ol' Nikon S2s/50 1.4s....
Certainly any 35 summicron will deliver the goods WIDE OPEN with Tri-X @
1/15!!!

Walt