Subject: Re: Summicron with eyes was Re: [Leica] 35mm for my LEICA M6
From: Richard DeLuca <odyssey@spectra.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:42:59 -0500

>On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 13:33:54 -0500 "C.L.Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com>
>wrote:

>This is the EARLY 8-element, probably under 200,000 serial number?....it
>is superb, lower in contrast than the later lenses but very sharp....it was
>"redesigned" in the mid 60s I understand, with better coatings..which is
>the one I have.  Mine is without eyes, but the same design.  (2222XX)....
>Supposedly sharper than its successor, tho with less contrast and lower
>color saturation.  CAUTION:...IT WILL NOT focus on Ms without the eyes,
>and replacing the mount is impossible/impossibly expensive.  It will work
>on any M body, but the "eyes" make it impossibly annoying to me, at least...
>
>I had one when I had my M3s, and as soon as I could afford it I rid myself of
>the M3s AND the lens, but my "other" 35 'cron is the same (formula)...
>
>About 80% of the photos I've taken in my life were shot with exactly this
>lens.  I am only going to replace it if I get a new asph, but I doubt
>it'll be
>worth the difference!...
>
>The diaphragm should be repairable, IF all the blades are there and not bent.
>You might get it, have it repaired, then later trade it to an M3 user or sell
>it at a profit, if it's nice.

Walt,

I also own an M3 with 50mm Summicron, with eyes.  I love to photograph
women, and I find the lower contrast makes for great portraits of women, as
long as I don't ruin perspective by getting too close.  Therfore, I've
always used it in these situations in preference to my M6 with newer glass.

But I'm confused- are you telling me that if I wanted to switch this old
lens on to my M6 sometime, it wouldn't focus properly?  Thanks for any info.

Best,
Rich