Subject: Re: [Leica] Salgado and light
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 16:33:33 -0800

Gerry Walden wrote:
>I have just finished watching the not great Salgado/Berger programme on TV
> and, as always, was amazed at Salgados use of light, particularly contre
> jour, and the luminosity of his work. My understanding is that he does not
> use a flash so how does he control his highlight ot shadow ratio so
> successfully?<<<

Hi Gerry,
The truth is, he doesn't! He sees and shoots by light motivation and doesn't
think about how to make the light work, it's by instinct of how the scene or
situation is illuminated.

If you feel the light, then one just concentrates on the subject and the
light falls where it may. When I shoot, the only light reaction I have first
is......"am I on the shadow side?" And is the light working for me?  Once
I've established that, then all else is forgotten about light as I know it's
working for me.

Or in the case of my book, "This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William
Osler" which is all available existing light while shooting the medical
profession at work in almost every conceivable light condition, I never used
a flash. I merely reacted to the situation before me and made the best use
of the light that was at hand. And it never occurred to me that I should use
flash.

I could see the scene, therefore why not shoot it. I realize that sounds
terribly simple, but it's the truth, as I've always believed if you can see
it you can shoot it! As long as you understand how the light is illuminating
the subject and that it's working in your favour.

Salgado does basically the same thing. One only needs to look through "This
is Our Work" to learn about using light that we see everyday and to use it
to make interestingly lit photographs, people or otherwise.

The most important thing to know is, light isn't just the intensity for
making exposure, but more importantly how it enhances the situation we wish
to photograph.  Once one starts to pay more attention to how the light is
working for them, than it's intensity to make an exposure, the sooner their
photography will improve.

It's quite simple indeed, if one remembers, apart from putting film in the
camera, the most important thing to help make great pictures, OK interesting
pictures, is to understand light! You finally get that right and you are
away to the races of great picture taking. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant