Subject: Re: [Leica] Salgado and light
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 13:37:00 -0500

At 11:22 PM 12/7/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I have just finished watching the not great Salgado/Berger programme on TV
>and, as always, was amazed at Salgados use of light, particularly contre
>jour, and the luminosity of his work. My understanding is that he does not
>use a flash so how does he control his highlight ot shadow ratio so
>successfully. Is it the processing and/or printing? Does anyone out there
>have any ideas? Tina is the closest on the list that I know of for doing
>this - if you are there Tina can you through anything into this?

Thank you,  Gerry!  That is the highest praise you could give me.  I love
Salgado's work.  As for mine, I just point the M6 at something that looks
about neutral gray, line up the arrows, and take the photo. There is almost
always something in the scene that is close to neutral gray - lots of mud
and adobe in Honduras, concrete in cities, even skin color will work.  Like
Ted, I love best the scenes where I say to myself - Oh, look at that
light!  Then I take several rolls of photos, until the light changes or my
subjects realize they are being photographed.  It's usually backlighting
that is most effective and dramatic.  In that case, I point the camera
down, away from the source of light, to get a neutral reading.  The arrows
in the M6 work great if you just figure out where to point the camera.

No special processing or printing.  It has to be there on the negative.

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com