Subject: Re: [Leica] Point and Shoot humbug
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:23:56 -0800

Sam Krneta wrote:

> Robert,
>
> My vote for fixed focus is the Contax T2. It's a little pricier than the
> T4, but a solid camera, with superb optics.  I'd love to get my hands on
> a T3, but I've been warned about more photo gear by the boss. Not to
> mention the need to get comfortable with my new M6. What a sweet piece
> of equipment. I also have a Ricoh GR1 that takes wonderful pictures. A
> little hard to find, as they have been replaced by a 21mm version, that
> is pricey. I've seen 8X10's shot with the Minilux that were stunning.
> But the Minilux is not a pocket camera.
>
> Sam Krneta

Sam I don't buy it that it's a "given" that besides a persons Leica M
camera there is this obvious need for a point and shoot camera and which
one do you have.
Unless one is building on their collection of 4x6 snapshots. Then it
wouldn't make too much difference WHAT you shot when.
And i DO agree it doesn't matter much which brand you get they all seem
to be made by Panasonic or Kysocera or Mitsubishi.

A Leica rangefinder camera is a compact unobtrusive machine, meant to be
with you, not stay out home.
A CL is even more compact, and a LTM or screwmount is still even more compact.

Point and shoots make you lazy in funny ways which makes me crazy.
I'm not looking for easy excuses or otherwise the means to keep my M6 at home.
I'm building on the discipline to take it with me most everywhere i go.

Although i get into Leica out of my Love for my Rollei 35.

The Rollei 35 now tends to stay at home. I bring my Leica.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Point and Shoot humbug)