Subject: Re: [Leica] Titanium M6/Titanium Lenses
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:13:24 EST

In a message dated 12/17/01 3:39:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
drpuritz@bellsouth.net writes:

> Just for curiosity...is there any practical advantage to the Titanium M6 and
>  Titanium M lenses that I see offered at much higher prices then other RF
>  gear?  Another marketing gimmick?  Is the camera much lighter?  The lenses?
>  I know some of us are actually using the Titanium cameras and lenses ( and
>  no criticism implied or intended, or course) ...or, are most people simply
>  buying and collecting as one might with all of the other Leica Special
>  Editions?  Wonder how long it might take for the Titanium gear to
appreciate
>  to where the purchase might be worth it?

Elliot:

The titanium cameras may in fact be very slightly heavier since the top-plate
is crafted of drawn brass and titanium-plated, not all-titanium, whereas the
top-plate of normal M6s is cast in white metal. The weight difference either
way would be insignificant.

I bought a classic titanium M6 several years ago because I felt that the
brass top-plate is somewhat stronger (it may bend but is not likely to break
while cast metal is more brittle and under a heavy blow could crack). The
titanium finish is a bit more resistant to marks and some find the finish
very attractive and the cowhide to have a wonderful feel to it. I have found
that I continued to use my black M6 and silver chrome M4 and haven't used the
Titanium M6 at all; it is still brand new in the box though the passport has
run out.

Don't buy this camera as an investment. Buy it to use and enjoy. Not to say
that in 30 years one new in box might be worth a lot more than you pay for it
today. But there are better and more secure investments.

Seth     LaK 9