Subject: [Leica] Re: tragedy upon tragedy
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:09:25 -0500

I am glad a number of you are able to see why the loss of the stored photos is a
further tragedy - of course, never to be equated with the loss of lives.

What makes photography so special to me - especially as epitomized by Leica's unique
place in the history of film-based image-making - is that it captures our individual
and collective memories, which in turn sustain our dreams of possibly better times
and places. All photography is so much more than merely a record of times past. Those
photos were not merely image-documents, they were a part of who we are and might
always be. But once those of us who saw those particular images are gone, now, with
the images themselves gone, we have lost a chunk of ourselves and all potentials
forever.

I did not know JFK and am not even well enough familiar with his record to judge him.
But I know he represented a great deal to many many people and to the soul of
America.

Pardon me for this psycho-babble. I'm in a weepy mood these days.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal