Subject: Re: [Leica] Where's Joe?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:16:41 -0800

Dr. Elliot Puritz wrote:
>> > Have you used the 12 or 15mm from Voightlander on your M Mark?  Wonder
how
> inferior the lens really is at hundreds/thousands less. <<<

Hi Elliot,
I'm not answering for Mark as he does very well on his own.;-)

However, I have used both the R 15 3.5 and used it extensively for quite a
number of years and it's an extremely fine lens, cuts slide film like a
razor blade for sharp images.

I've also used the Voitlander M 15mm for two years now and I have absolutely
no complaints at all.  It cuts a mean image in a negative or slide to the
extent that one can project a Voitlander image back to back with a Leica R
image and have difficulty telling which was shot with which lens.

Now let me clarify this comment by saying, no the cameras were not on a
tripod snapping printed targets, but the images came from various
assignments where both cameras were used during the project.

We racked slides and invited several pro photogs over for a viewing and a
scotch! ;-) To see if casual observers could pick Leica 15 from Voitlander
15. We assumed it would be a piece of cake, Leica would shine. Actually it
was a miserable failure, as they picked more Voitlander images to be Leica
than the other way around.

So one can assume, that in some cases the lenses, Leica or other wise that
fit our M's or R's can, under work conditions, create images that are equal
to each other, whether we want to believe that or not.

I realize this may shatter the lives of many, "absolutely there is no other
lenses than Leica folks.".. but hey,  this is real life use and not playing
toy games on a test bench. Now remember, don't get all huffy assed and start
fighting back, as it wont make you feel any better and I wont be dissuaded
from what we've experienced in the work a day world.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from "Dr. Elliot Puritz" <drpuritz@bellsouth.net> (Re: [Leica] Where's Joe?)