Subject: RE: [Leica] when is a pj not a pj?
From: "rp johnson" <rpjohnson2@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 21:30:20 -0800

George Lottermoser wrote:

I'd like to think that any serious, professional photographer who
documents events with honesty and integrity, whether freelance,
hired or staff would or could earn the moniker of photojournalist
- - journaling the visual reality. Shouldn't the product have more
to do with the title than the entity writing the check?

In the case in point which began this thread:
If, hypothetically, another freelance "photojournalist" had
caught wind of the demonstration and documented the event on his
or her own dime, with the hope of later sales, or simply because
they thought it important to journal, and was also arrested and
charged - how speaks this illustrious jury?

George
**
George,

As I understand it, the law and the court system don't tell you what is
"just"; they tell you what is "legal".  The law and the court system did
not tell us that slavery was "unjust" (or "just" for that matter), the
political system/society/morality/whatever told us that and the laws were
changed.

So in some sense, it doesn't matter what I think about the justice of your
2nd paragraph example:  as I understand current law and practice in the
United States (and I am not an attorney), the second photographer would be
sharing a cell with Mr. Morgan.  But, I would add, would also have the same
"day in court".  It is still not a question of "Do not pass GO!  Do not go
to Court! Go directly to JAIL!"

RP Johnson