Subject: [Leica] re: photos of speakers
From: "kyle cassidy" <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 13:29:54 -0800

adam asked:

>Since Kyle posted the two photos I pondered the difficulty of getting
>reasonable photos of people speaking. I've been doing more of this lately
>and I seem incredibly talented at getting transient expressions which run
>from ludicrous to slanderous. Seldom do I get one that reflects the person
>who is talking.
>
>So what's the secret. Just lots of photos and then sort out for the good
>one? I'll have to buy a motor-M I guess.

since basically this is what i do at work i can offer the following
suggestions:

1) use you 85 f2 or 75 1.4 and get up close.
2) shoot as much film as it is important to get a good shot of the speaker
3) wait for pauses -- if the speaker is moving his/her hand up, wait until
    the hand reaches it's apex and there's a brief pause before it comes
down.
4) often the folks your shooting for will want their logo in the shot. be
    conscious of that.
5) use a monopod if you need to and crop vertically
6) if you can, make sure there's enough lighting on the speaker. this may
    involve adding a clamp lamp of your own or such.

all my advice.

kc