Subject: [Leica] Speakers corner
From: firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:40:55 +1100

Since Kyle posted the two photos I pondered the difficulty of getting
reasonable photos of people speaking. I've been doing more of this lately
and I seem incredibly talented at getting transient expressions which run
from ludicrous to slanderous. Seldom do I get one that reflects the person
who is talking.

So what's the secret. Just lots of photos and then sort out for the good
one? I'll have to buy a motor-M I guess.

I'd love some clues if anyone would care to share.

Thank you

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Adam,

I'm no expert, but I spent a lot of time at uni taking these types of
images, and over that time, and at parties  --- you know people yakking
around the table, I found that you were best to take the image when they
were NOT speaking. For party shots, this means waiting till someone is
"prepared" to listen. Then you can get some wonderful expressions  -- a John
Amiet image on FOM2 was a great example of this. For weddings, I waited till
the speaker was responding to the audience, usually after cracking a joke --
he/she stops speaking, and looks into the audience for a response -- this
questioning or "triumphant" look was always better than one with mouth
agape. The only time I've found taking the image while they speak works is
when they are "shouting" or gesticulating furiously, then the facial
contortion only adds to the image -- Werner Bishof's image of the russian
leader was a great example. The images of speakers sent to FOM2 were
generally disappointing and "missed" out, perhaps for this reason -- they
are hard to take.

Cheers and Here's luck

Alastair (who should be working rather than doing this, but this is more fun
;-) )

Ps only 12 hours of 2001 left, so if I miss sending another, a very happy
new year to all my lugnut friends