Subject: RE: [Leica] Photo school or what?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:40:05 -0500

Tristan - Allow me to be brutal:

Decide what kind of photography you want to do, and then compare the best of
your work with that of the top dozen - or top 100 - people in that field.
Sure, photography school will improve your technical skills. But either
you've got an eye or you haven't. So make the comparison keeping that in
mind. If you think your work will compete that way, go for it. If it won't,
then consider what you will be doing with photography to earn a living - and
whether that will be any more fulfilling than what you are doing now. A job,
after all, is still just a job, whether it requires you to spend your day
responding to help-desk requests, or shooting Moms and babies in shopping
malls.

I know there are those who will vehemently disagree with me, who will say
that I am discouraging budding talent. But I would suggest that what I am
doing is urging you to focus on whether you have the talent - and drive - to
make it in a highly, highly competitive, and some would say dying, field.
Perhaps you do. Or, perhaps you should look for another line of work and
just spend more time on a photo hobby, or part-time photo business.

B. D.