Subject: [Leica] Mark Rabiner's XTol tricks
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 19:20:47 -0800

I suspect that almost nobody reads every message on the LUG. Heck, I went 3
years without reading any of them.  These days I think I read about half of
the messages, but it varies.

So last October my mind was elsewhere and I didn't think I was going to be
using XTol so I missed seeing the explanation that Mark Rabiner had made
about how he mixes and uses XTol. Just last night I finally understood what
he was saying, and I have to confess that this is one of the neatest things
I've learned from the LUG in years. (Recall that I see myself as being more
of a darkroom expert and printmaking expert than being a great
photographer).

Mark, I want to thank you and congratulate you both for figuring this out
and for implementing it in a way that is easy for us non-professionals to
copy. What I'm trying to accomplish is the design of a workflow for my home
darkroom that will let me, without any more advance planning than turning
on the electric water heater, develop and proof and scan some film in a
single burst of energy. The workflow that I've used for 35 years requires
advance planning with respect to developer inventory, and at least two
intervals of available time to get prints out of a roll of film.

(If you didn't read these messages either, and you use XTol or, like me,
are starting to use XTol, use the LUG Search on keywords "xtol brown
bottles 250" and you will find several messages on this topic.

Now I just need to get some of these 250ml bottles. Does anybody have a
recommended vendor? Does anybody actually know enough chemistry to know
whether a blue bottle will have the same preservative value as a brown
bottle?  The Kodak web site is silent on this.

Brian Reid

Replies: Reply from "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net> (Re: [Leica] Mark Rabiner's XTol tricks)
Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] bottles brown or blue)
Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Mark Rabiner's XTol tricks)