Subject: Re: [Leica] [OT] Jobo CPE-2...
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspw.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:55:19 -0500 (EST)

mark, to me and many LUGers, you are the evangelist of xtol.

but the kodak document on their website: J-109 September 2000 (unless
superceded) does not qualify the 100ml rule for tmax:

  Minimum Solution Volume. The volume of diluted KODAK XTOL Developer
  needed to cover the film will depend on the size of your tank or tray or
  the design of your rotary-tube processor. However, the minimum amount of
  diluted developer needed to cover the film may not contain enough active
  ingredients to develop the film fully in the recommended time. We
  recommend always starting with at least 100 mL (3.5 fluidounces) of
  full-strength developer to prepare the diluted solution for each 135-36
  or 120 roll (or the equivalent of 80 square inches [516 square
  centimetres]). Note: If your water supply is exceptionally hard (above
  200 ppm of CaCO 3 ), you may need to use conditioned water to avoid
  cloudiness when you mix higher dilutions. Contact your water authority
  for information on the water in your area.
                             - Kodak Publication J-109 p. 2

on the subject of developer exhaustion, Anchell goes even further:

  Although it is true, as Kodak claims, that 100ml of _undiluted_ D-76
  is sufficient to develop 8x10 inches of fim, it may not always be
  enough to develop the film to its fullest potential.  The amount of
  solution  required to cover the film's surface should not be confused with
  the amount ot developer required to fully develop a roll of film.

  For example, 100 ml of solution will cover one roll of 35mm, 36
  exposure film in a JOBO CPA-2 processor.  However, to _ensure_
  full development of _all_ images on the roll at least 250 ml of
  undiluted D-76 should be used, no matter what any manufacturer says
  to the contrary.

  To maintain quality and consistency use the following volumes for
  each 8x10 inches of film, regardless of the processing method--even
  rotary processing.

  Undilute developers--at least 250ml (D-76, Microdol-X, XTOL).

  Dilute developers--at least 500ml (D-76 1:1, Rodinal 1:25 to 1:50,
  FX 1, FX 2, HC-110 1:31 from concentrate, PMK.

  Very dilute developers--1 liter (D-76 1:3, Rodinal 1:100, FX 2 1:1,
  HC-110 1:90 from concentrate).

  These amounts may sound extreme to some.  But saving on developer
  is penny wise and pound foolish.  Do not try to make photography cost-
  effective by skiming on film developer.  Yuo will never be able to
  maintain quality and consistency, even if the results appear
  adequate.
                     - Anchell and Troop, The Film Developing Cookbook p. 31

clearly it's not a black and white issue (pun intended).
i find the kodak 100ml recommendation something i can live with;
usually i use 125ml.  but in the back of my mind, i also hear
steve anchell's admonition that 250ml might give different (better?)
results.

- -rei

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] [OT] Jobo CPE-2...)
Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: [OT] Jobo CPE-2...)