Subject: [Leica] Re: [OT] Jobo CPE-2...
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 05:43:32 -0600

Rei:

>mark, to me and many LUGers, you are the evangelist of xtol.
>
>but the kodak document on their website: J-109 September 2000 (unless
>superceded) does not qualify the 100ml rule for tmax:

Of course not.  There may be other films besides Tmax and Delta 3200 that
need 100 ml.  If they list tmax as the only one, they're not covering their
butts.  There may be new films that come out that will also need 100 ml.
Kodak is being conservative.

>These amounts may sound extreme to some.  But saving on developer
>  is penny wise and pound foolish.  Do not try to make photography cost-
>  effective by skiming on film developer.

I agree with that.  I don't believe souping 4 rolls of Neopan 1600 in 250 ml
of Xtol is pound foolish.  The results are consistently good.  But don't
trust me...Mark is the Xtol guru.  I've seen his results.  I like his
results.  I don't know the guy at Kodak that wrote the recommendation, nor
have I seen any of his results.  Kodak is theory.  Mark is reality and what
works in practice.

62 ml per roll may be pushing the very limits...perhaps at -10% or 56 ml per
roll, we'd see bad results.  If that's the case, it makes sense for Kodak to
advocate using a larger cushion.  There's likely less room for error.

If you're trying to save on developer cost by using less than what the
experts recommend, I'd agree you're being pound foolish.  Mark is my expert
of choice.  I don't use less than what he recommends.

Eric

Message from Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspw.com> (Re: [Leica] [OT] Jobo CPE-2...)