Subject: Re: [Leica] Tele-Elmarit
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 09:38:28 -0800

"John R. Fulton Jr." wrote:

> All--
> I'm fairly new to LUG, but occasionally throw in my 2-cents worth.
> That's about all it's ever worth.
> In the 1970's I bought a new 90mm Tele-Elmarit. At the time it was
> described as a be-all and end-all since it was 90mm, very light
> weight and just a bit bigger than a 50mm f2.
> I've used it a few times and for longer distant photographs it's
> fine. But the last time I shot portraits with it at f2.8 it was not
> satisfactory. I remember it as soft or out-of-focus. I just assumed
> it was me, or my focusing. I also assumed that the 90mm was just "too
> long" for the M.
> I dealt with this simply by not using the lens much. It still has
> that "new" stiffness to the focus and the f-stops have a real strong
> "click" to them. This lens is as new.
> On LUG I've noticed that if the Tele-Elmarit is mentioned, it is not
> referred to in glowing terms, so I assume that this lens isn't one of
> Leica's better efforts.
> Do I assume correctly that I would be much happier with one of the
> current 90mm lenses?
> [(slight) disclaimer: I don't "need" this lens focal length. I'm a
> have a set of N*kons for portraits, close-ups, telephotos and other
> stuff you "need" reflex cameras for. I like the 90mm for traveling
> when I leave the Nik*ns at home (what a relief THAT is).]
> All the best,
> John Fulton
> Fort Worth
> --

Some of this anti tele Elmarit stuff on the LUG was mine. Much of it was.
Yes you DO need the 90 for your Leicas! And a 135 3.4 apo as well!
Both awesome glass which will put your darn Nikons to shame as they did mine.
I'd buy the 200 macro for the Nikon and sell all the rest!

My tele Elmarit i should have gotten professionally cleaned before i
made big decisions on it.
But as they discontinued it for a model - the current Elmarit 90 - twice
the size and weight my thought was that they figured they bit off more
then they could chew in the compactness department. At that time. And a
contract from NASA to produce a non flaring quality 90.

Now i bet they could come out with a compact slower 90 or 75 with No Problemo!

Hasta la vista baby!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com