Subject: Re: [Leica]giving Mark the giggles
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 09:26:09 -0800

Don Dory wrote:

> Call me anal, but yes, I do have two hewes reels in a 4 reel tank using Xtol
> at 1:3.  But that is why I picked up the 7 reel tank, in there I can run 4
> reels at a time.  Drain times are not a problem when development runs 14
> minutes.
>
> Just doing my part to entertain the B&W Guru
>
> Don Dory
> dorysrus@mindspring.com

Some people are like that.

The will come back from a vacaion with 14 rolls of film and run 2 a
night for a week.
"What's the rush?" They'll say.

In my case i'll shoot 10 rolls in 3 hours like in that nude shoot and
then i'll run the film so i can have my stack of contacts done of the
whole shoot in the morning. Naturally i've had clinets who've needed
this turnaround.

I have 2 2 liter 8 reel tanks.
So i can run 16 rolls at the same time. I pour one tank one minute
behind the next.
And a keep stored a gallon of stop bath in a jug and Rapid fix 1 and 2
in their gallong jugs.

So i'm running 16 rolls of film at a time. each roll gets 250mls of
liquid as they are metal tanks.

Before Xtol i'd commenly put two rolls on one reel back to back, i
learned this from Bill Peirce.

So i used to be able to run 32 rolls at a time in Rodinal or Rabinal.

On exhastion issues i just fired this some of these thoughts to Frank:

My time for Neopan 1600 is 12 minutes in Xtol 1:3.
4 reels in a one liter 4 reel metal tank
but if i ran 1 or 2 rolls of Neopan 1600 in that  one liter 4 reel tank
I'll get a bit more density.
So i run it at 11 or 10 mines instead.

I don't call that a failed system. But it is a system working at near exhaustion.

Just as importantly
if i run my 4 reels in a one liter 4 reel tank at not 12 but 13 or 14 minutes...
I pick up more density and contrast.

To me that is certainly a working system.

which has worked for me for 2.5 years.

However i find i cant do this with Delta 3200.
Giving it more time does not increase contrast or density. It just makes
it more GREY. diachronic fog?
It had petered out. Exhausted.
so i run that stuff at 1:1 and have no problems. I'd do the same if i
ever shot TMX I think.

Kodak took 1:3 out of it's recommendations when people had trouble with TMX.
They said "Gee maybe they'll have problems with other films too! We
better cover our buts!"
1:3 used to be in the literature. Now it's not.
It was probably their marketing people who did it because they fired all
their B&W lab people.

Mark

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] [OT] Jobo CPE-2...)
Message from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica]giving Mark the giggles)