Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Efke KB 25 in D23
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 20:01:13 -0800

Mike Durling wrote:

> I got too much contrast with D23 at 1:1 for 7 minutes.  I was printing on a
> 1 1/2 filter.  9 minutes was off the chart.  I'm currently using the 1:1 for
> 4 minutes followed by a 3 min borax bath.  The tones are very nice but I'm
> running at EI 16.  Other films in this same soup seem to need a lot more
> time.
>
> I suspect our differences could be due to technique.  Some like Tri-X at
> 800.  That works but you have to be careful not to overexpose!
>
> Mike D

I ran a lot of slow film in the late 70's early 80's in what would have
been very close to D 23 1:2 as i added my Metol and Sulfite separately
optimized to my wants.
It was Panatomic X asa 32.
I'd give 1:2 a shot you'll pick up a bit of sharpness for less sulfite
dissolving your silver and a bit more edge effects which appears as
sharpness with the less Metol.

And you developing time will be optimize at around 10 minutes. A nice
amount of time for developing.

The Borax bath I'd try skipping with thin films (slow films) it's effect
is minimized. Less film to hold the developing agent inside as the borax
hits it from the outside. And it's risky.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Efke KB 25 in D23)