Subject: Re: [Leica] Thoughts on Xtol and the water supply
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 20:05:15 -0800

Don Dory wrote:

> I have followed Marks advice about developing in Xtol but his start times
> produce negs that are too thin for my taste.  I think the water here in
> Atlanta is harder than the water in Portland.  I wonder if the hardness
> affects the activity of the developer?
>
> I think that I should expose three rolls identically, mix some Xtol in
> distilled, Atlanta, and Kansas City water and run a densitometer on the
> negs.   What am I going to do with 15 liters of Xtol?  Hmm, I wonder who
> will pay shipping, insured?
>
> Just reinforcement that all development advice must be tested individually
> as it is part art and not all science.
>
> --

If your negs are thin just give them a few more minutes before you try
less dilution.
Any time you get from anybody will always be just a start time.
You should count on having to adjust a few minutes to your water and taste.

Were they WAY thin?

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com