Subject: RE: [Leica] Available PAW
From: Colin <CJV@home.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:21:38 -0500

I gave my brother one of my digital cameras when Sebastian was born; he
gets lots of use out of it and always gives me nice prints.  They don't
mind my photography either.  He's the only baby in the family right now
so I think they enjoy the attention!

  There's enough pushing and shoving for an NBA game!
> Plus as a
> > photographer, I get close enough to the action to hear all
> the amusing
> > foul language (from Catholic school girls!) that the parents don't
> > hear.  Love it! :)
>
> Do you just shoot them for practice or do you give/sell them
> some good shots for their paper etc...?

Alexandra, my wife, is the English department chair at the school.  She
publishes the literary magazine and the newspaper.  I lend shots when
appropriate, but try to leave the real work to the kids.  I only just
started photographing the basketball games this season; I'm not very
good at it!  I've been using my Canon with the autofocus and the nice
zoom lenses.  I may try doing a little with the Leica once I get my
confidence up.  It's not easy, even with full auto!  For what it's
worth, tho, even with the EOS-1 I metered once and left it there in
manual mode.  It's quite dark in the gym - I was doing around 1/200th
@1250 ISO and f/2.8.  I get tons of blurry shots.

I may sell some work to the coach, since he expressed an interest in
putting something together at the end of the season for his players, and
he probably makes like three times what my wife makes, even with her
master's degree and all. :/  At least the team is good! :)

Regards,
Colin
http://www.availabledark.com