Subject: Re: [Leica] new paw
From: "Richard Ogden" <rj.ogden@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:15:16 -0000

The story is all in the dog, its smallness and the sense of isolation it
feels in this large, empty space. The direct stare commands our attention
and it is only later that we look at the surroundings. Funnily enough, I can
imagine this print working better 'in the flesh', as it were, compared to as
it appears on a computer screen, because the progressive loading of the
picture from the top on the computer draws the viewers attention to the top
of the frame to an extent which wouldn't be the case if the print were
presented on a wall or in the hand. I find the lights in the dark area to
the right of the first support on the right slightly distracting, and would
consider cropping this area. I'm not sure, either, about the nearest lamp.
It's such an interesting shape that,again, it tends to pull the eye away
from the main subject of the picture. But the dog, and its immediate
surroundings are very arresting and make a memorable picture.

Richard

Richard Ogden
PAW Site: http://mysite.freeserve.com/paw2002/index.html