Subject: RE: [Leica] Leni Riefenstahl Site
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:11:30 -0800

On 1/10/02 at 11:14 AM, tim@KairosPhoto.com (Tim Atherton) thoughtfully wrote:

> It is interesting how many of the big industrialists and business people who
> were closely identified with the Nazi Party and who kept the Nazi war
> machine and coffers afloat, were allowed to be "rehabilitated" after a short
> while following and continue doing what they always did. Many a lot older
> and more mature at the time of their "misguided association" with Hitler et
> al. Whereas Riefenstahl has never been allowed to do this.
>
> Why is this so?

I wonder if it isn't connected with her role in pursuading other to accept and
the glorification of the Nazi movement. Many would see that as a betrayal at
least of "art" if not the human race.

It's an easy place to afix anger as well, and not without reason.

I keep trying to tell myself that a photo has its own context - that it stands
by itself - but these works are associated with great evil and it's virtually
impossible to set aside that context.

Future generations may find it easier to do and so a body of work will be
rediscovered and apppreciated.

Adam