Subject: Re: [Leica] A few thoughts about flash
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:45:16 -0500

At 03:41 PM 1/13/02 -0800, you wrote:
>But I always try to make a shot with the light illuminating the subject
>before I use flash and if in doubt, out comes a flash, now I have the SF20
>that I've played with a bit, but it's still basically unused! :-)  But some
>day. ;-)
>ted
>
>Ted Grant Photography Limited
>www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Ted -

I agree 100%; however, (don't you hate "howevers"!) it depends entirely the
purpose of your photographs.  Try an experiment.  Load one camera with
Tri-X or TMax 400 and put the Noctilux on it.  Load the other camera with
Provia 100, a slow lens, and the SF20.  Take photos of the same subject -
your grandkids playing inside with very little natural light.  Use an index
card or handkerchief to soften the SF20.  Take a roll of photos with each.

If these are photos that you are trying to sell to a mother or stock
agency, I'll guarantee that you'll have more "keepers" with the SF20.   If
they are photos that you want to enter in a Family of Man exhibit or blow
up 10X to put in a fine-art gallery, the natural-light ones will win every
time.

For everything there is a time and purpose (I think I read that somewhere.)

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com
images available from http://www.pdiphotos.com