Subject: RE: [Leica] Steve Unsworth PAW
From: "Steve Unsworth" <mail@steveunsworth.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:52:53 -0000

Nathan

I think (hope?) that the original post was a joke - I certainly took it that
way and no offence was taken. But thank you for the very very kind words.

I can think of things I would like to improve in almost all the photographs
I posted so far. But _that's_ the point of the PAW for me. It isn't about
posting superb images week after week, it's about _improving_ through the
year. And we can all improve. From the absolute beginner, to the seasoned
professional we all have something to learn. Now what is fantastic about the
PAW project is that we have on the LUG a tremendous resource of critics.
They are not just able to say 'That's crap because of A, B and C', but are
also able to (and of course do) make constructive suggestions about how a
photo could be improved. This is the true strength of PAW, it's not a way of
preening an ego, it's a way of learning how to do things better. Plus as Ted
has said, the more shots you take, the better you'll get (at least in my
case).

Yes, shooting in Paris _is_ probably easier than being in a small town, but
I'm trying to concentrate on the small, everyday things, rather than the
grander Parisian subjects. I selected week 2 because of the quality of
light, the location could have been any city or town. Heck, there may be a
shot of the Eiffel tower before the end of the year, but there'll be one of
someone scratching their arse as well :-)

Personally the two biggest boosts to my abilities of a photographer,
whatever they may be, was the purchase of a Leica IIIC and a Nikon Scanner.
With the Leica I had to think about what I was doing - _I_ was controlling
the situation, with the Nikon I could see the results at minimal cost.
Before I bought the old Leica I had an auto everything Pentax SLR. Now I
have Leicas and a Hexar. The Pentax hasn't been used since I bought an M2
nearly 2 years ago.

Steve