Subject: [Leica] Re: Agreements and Releases
From: MEBerube <photog@pivot.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 02:35:19 -0500

At 06:26 PM 1/18/02 -0800, Alastair asked:
>This begs me to ask a question I been meaning to for some time. What
>sort of "agreement" is meant by a model release, and can some of you
>show me what you use, and how you use them?

I simply have the following sentence in my event agreement:
>The photographer reserves the right to use any and all images for
>advertising, promotion, display or any other purpose thought proper by him
>without any recompense to the contracting party.

This has served me (so far) well as a defacto model release for events. As
is the nature of my business practice, if anyone actually objected to my
using their image for any reason, I probably wouldn't use that image as my
past customers are one of my best sources of future business which is more
likely to be more valuable to me than use of an image without consent. No
one has ever asked that I not use their image. Everyone wants to be in
pictures. :)

When I hire a model on the other hand, I use a standard model release which
can be found in any number of places on the net such as:
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00002c&topic_id=23&topic=photo.net

(You may have to cut and paste that if it gets truncated.)

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.GoodPhotos.com